People who can get by on three to four hours of sleep sometimes brag about their strength and endurance, hmmmn!. But recent scientific studies show that a lack of sleep causes many significant changes in the body and increases your risk for serious health concerns such as obesity, disease, and even early death.
About 40-45% of the adults out there sleep less than the recommended seven-eight hours a day. Sleep is essential for the overall health and well-being. Adequate sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle and can benefit your heart, weight, mind and more.
When you sleep, your brain signals your body to release hormones and compounds that help:
- decrease risk for health conditions
- manage your hunger levels
- maintain your immune system
- retain memory e.t.c.
consistently sleeping more than six to eight hours a night can negatively impact your health.
Researchers found that people who reduced their sleep time from seven hours to five hours or less had 1.4-1.7 times the risk of death from all causes.
Now let us talk about the benefits of sleeping for seven to eight hours
The benefits of sleep has been mentioned earlier but below are some of the benefits of sleep you might want to know;
- Sleep helps manage your appetite:
When you are sleep-deprived, your brain will release chemicals to signal hunger. This can lead to eating more, exercising less, and gaining weight. so yes sleep helps to maintain your weight.
- Sleep helps your immune system function
When you sleep, your immune system releases compounds called cytokines. Some cytokines have a protective effect on your immune system by helping to fight inflammation and infection.
- Sleep helps your memory
In addition to helping you focus, sleep helps protect and strengthen your memory.
So sleep gives you a better memory.
Lack of sleep increases disease risk: Its is a contributing factor for many chronic health conditions, such as:
- heart disease
- obstructive sleep apnea.
- Enough sleep can help you to avoid Erectile Dysfunction.
- When we have adequate sleep it makes us happier, poor sleep can ruin ones day.
- Adequate sleep gives you an healthy Skin but Sleeping poorly is also associated with chronic skin conditions.
- Its prevent Migraines And Other Headaches.
- Adequate sleep improve ones sight.
- With adequate sleep you will Be More Productive At Work.
- Its prevent joints pain such as pain in the knee joints e.t.c.