Cancer of the lung islike all other cancers which is as a result of the abnormalities in the basic unit of life, the cell. the principal function of the lung is the exchange of gases between the air that we breathe and the blood. Lung cancer is the most common cause of death due to cancer in both men and women. lung cancers are sometimes called bronchogenic cancer or bronchogenic carcinomas.
There are three main types of lung cancer. Knowing which type you have is important because it affects your treatment options and your outlook (prognosis). If you aren’t sure which type of lung cancer you have, ask your doctor so you can get the right information.
- a persistent cough
- coughing up blood
- persistent breathlessness
- unexplained tiredness/fatigue and weight loss
- an ache or pain when breathing or coughing/chest pain
- blood in the sputum
- psychological symptoms such as depression and mood changes
the most common cause of lung cancer that is well known to people is smoking, either directly or passively, other causes include;
- Exposure to radon gas
- Exposure to asbestos fibers
- Air pollution from vehicles, industry, and power plants
- Prior history of lung cancer
- Exposure to diesel exhaust
- individual genetic susceptibility, may play a role in the causation of lung cancer.
- presence of certain diseases of the lung.
- History and physical examination of the individual
- x ray
- CT (computerized tomography) scan
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Bronchoscopy etc
- Radiation therapy may be employed as a treatment
- Immunotherapy etc