Barcelona’s Lionel Messi is the highest paid footballer in Europe, beating out Cristiano Ronaldo by over £3million per month. This was revealed by French publication, L’Equipe, in its annual report of the top football salaries.
In L’Equipe’s annual salary report, the French news outlet revealed who the 10 best-paid footballers in Europe are going by monthly wage before tax, with Barcelona striker Lionel Messi on top of the list with £7.3million beating long-term rival Cristiano Ronaldo in second who earns a staggering £4.1m a month before tax.
Coming in third is Atletico Madrid striker Antoine Griezmann who earns £2.9m (€3.3m).
Paris Saint-Germain’s Neymar follows Griezmann with reported monthly earnings of £2.7m (€3.06m) while Luis Suarez completes the top five with a monthly wage of £2.5m (€2.9m).
See the full list below.
1. Lionel Messi – £7.3million
2. Cristiano Ronaldo – £4.1million
3. Antoine Griezmann – £2.9million
4. Neymar – £2.7million
5. Luis Suarez – £2.5million
6. Gareth Bale – £2.2million
7. Philippe Coutinho – £2million
8. Alexis Sanchez – £2million
9. Kylian Mbappe – £1.5million
10. Mesut Ozil – £1.4million